Monday, March 10, 2014

Accounting and Sewing

Hello Everyone!

I just want to say thank you for taking the time to come and have a look at my blog.
As a distance education student studying in Brisbane, currently a fourth year Bachelor of Business undergraduate, with a major in Human Resources, I'm always looking for ways to be social and meet people, because sitting at home all day in my office can lead to me staring out the window dreaming about making friends, then just resorting to finding my cat, and cuddling her all day (I know she probably hates it, but I don't think she knows she is adopted yet!!) 
This is my cat, enjoying the afternoon breeze.
But cuddling my cat all day isn't the only thing that I do. I do infact have allot of free time, and I really really enjoy sewing.I only recently started learning, but its something that has a deep place in my heart.In my spare time cutting out patterns the other day, it occured to me that accounting for decision making is allot like sewing. Especially the first part of our assignment, allow me to explain;

Initially it seems like a daunting task. Its a hard thing to do, you have a pattern to work from, which essentially could be a spread sheet, with patterns, you have to do measurements, and cut it down to the size you want, ever so carefully, because one mistake could mess the whole thing up, much like working in a spreadsheet, if once cell block is wrong it could affect the whole calculation! or in MYOB and double entry bookkeeping, if you don't input the right data in the right places, then there is going to be an error, which is much like cutting out the wrong pattern, for a sleeve, and sewing it on the wrong side, you can't have a left sleeve on the right arm! 

Did you ever think that financial management and statements are interrelated to sewing? Because I can tell you it is! I can’t remember the number of times I have fallen in love with a beautiful piece of fabric or trim, then having to check my bank to see how much cash on hand I have, and if I don’t have enough, look like I'm going to have to work or get some projects to help increase my revenue so that I can purchase the inventory I need to create the product I want.

Fundamentally, the most important part of the dress is the seams and over locking. If you don’t over lock the material, it’s going to start fraying, and falling apart, much like in accounting, where if you don’t enter and manage the transactions of your organisation then it is going to begin to fail, and if you don’t sew your dress/shirt together (seam) then you aren't going to have anything but pieces on the floor or table, which is also relatable to accounting, because hey, if nothing works together, and all the debts equal the credits, then what chance do you having a successful book keeping system.

The first dress I ever made, inspired by the 1950's!


Basically, I propose that accounting is pretty much relatable to allot of things in life, and once you can figure out what accounting is to you, it makes it easier to understand, and allot of the time, it makes it allot more fun to do. At least I like to think it does!!!

Thank you again for visiting my blog!
Please remember to leave some comments down below, and give feedback to others on the moodle page!!


Evelyn

3 comments:

  1. Evelyn - great blog ... and love your illustration of accounting being like sewing ... and we see on Anna's blog that she sees accounting is like skydiving .... :) ... hehe ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Evelyn,

    This is such a creative way of thinking about accounting. You are definitely in my top 3 blogs.

    Keep up the great work, Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Evelyn, I found your way of relating accounting to sewing very unique and unlike anything else I've read. Good luck with this course!

    ReplyDelete